Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I have a great US Senator: Thank you Mrs. Boxer!

Dear Dr. Orey:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for repealing the military's discriminatory "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) policy.  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I am proud to be an original co-sponsor of S.3065, the Military Readiness Enhancement Act of 2010, which would repeal the discriminatory "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and prohibit discrimination of service members on the basis of sexual orientation.

As you may know, a version of the Military Readiness Enhancement Act was incorporated into the Department of Defense Authorization bill for Fiscal Year 2011. Unfortunately, the minority members of the Senate have blocked the defense bill from being considered by the full Senate. I am hopeful that we will have another opportunity to consider this important legislation before Congress adjourns this year. 

Most Americans believe that qualified young men and women should be able to serve their country regardless of their sexual orientation.  Thousands of service men and women have been discharged from the military under DADT, costing taxpayers at least $290 million to replace discharged soldiers. 

Be assured that I will keep working to end sure this hurtful policy as soon as possible and I will continue my efforts to achieve full equality for all Americans both in military and civilian life. 

Again, thank you for writing to me on this important issue.  Please free to contact me again about this or any other issue of concern to you. 

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment