Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why I am Voting for Barbara Boxer: Uniting American Families Act (UAFA)



Dear Dr. Orey:

Thank you for writing to me regarding the Uniting American Families Act (UAFA).  I appreciate hearing from you, and I share your strong support for this bill.

I am proud to be an original co-sponsor of the UAFA, which Senator Patrick Leahy introduced in the Senate as S.424 on February 12, 2009.  This bill would amend immigration law to extend the same benefits to permanent partners as are currently afforded legally married couples under the Immigration and Naturalization Act. Americans in same-sex relationships would thereby be able to sponsor their partners for legal residency in the United States.

As you know, only opposite-sex couples are currently afforded the ability to sponsor their partners for immigration visas.  This discriminatory practice has torn apart many binational families and denied American citizens equal opportunity under the law.  The UAFA would correct this by adding "or permanent partner" to sections of the Immigration and Naturalization Act that apply to legally married couples. 

Again, thank you for writing to me.  Be assured that I am committed to a fair and just immigration policy, and that I will continue to fight for equal rights for all Americans.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment