Thursday, July 28, 2011

Via JMG: Larry Kramer: I Do Want Gay Marriage


"We are being bought off, once again, with only a minuscule fraction of what we are entitled to as equal human beings under our country’s Bill of Rights. Believe me when I say that I very much want to get married to my partner, but only when that marriage is equal to what heterosexual marriages convey by law, the law of the United States, and not just New York State. And I do not disparage those who choose to marry under the present woefully unequal conditions. I just wish that they, and all gay people everywhere, would realize that they are accepting so little when we are pledged so much more by and in this one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." - Playwright and gadfly Larry Kramer, in an Advocate editorial.

NOTE: Kramer says that the New York Times heavily edited his quote earlier this week and gave the false impression that he opposes same-sex marriage in general.


reposted from Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment