Friday, August 5, 2011

From My wonderful US Senator:

United States Senate
Dear Dr. Orey:
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for efforts to repeal the discriminatory Defense Of Marriage Act (DOMA).  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I share your opposition to DOMA.
The Defense of Marriage Act has nothing to do with defending marriage - all it does is discriminate against millions of Americans by denying them equal treatment under the law.  It is long past time to repeal this unjust law and start treating all our families with the dignity and respect they deserve.
I am proud to be an original co-sponsor of S.598, the Respect for Marriage Act of 2011.  This bill would repeal DOMA and establish equal rights for all lawfully married couples - including more than 18,000 legally married same-sex couples in California - and allow them to receive federal marriage benefits.
S.598 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Be assured that I will work with my colleagues to pass this important bill and see it signed into law.
Again, thank you for writing to me.  Please feel free to contact me again about any issue of importance to you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment