Praise: President Obama at the Human Rights Commission last night
Here are a few lines that caught my ear:
Every single American: gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, every single American deserves to be treated equally in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of our society. It's a pretty simple proposition.
The President is, of course, correct. Equality is called for in the Founding Documents of the United States of America. It is a simple concept, but will not be a simple achievement.
The President went on to enumerate his important achievements on that path to full equality
- The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Law
- Executive Order that hospitals that accept Medicare must allow same gender partners as visitors
- Lifting of the HIV travel ban
- Comprehensive National Strategy to fight HIV/AIDS
- Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT)