Friday, June 15, 2012

Via American Foundation for Equal Rights

Dear Daniel,

My dad is my hero. He regularly worked two jobs to ensure food was on the table and clothes were on my back. He’s the one who fought off the bullies growing up. He’s the one who told me I should take that job in California even though he didn’t want me to leave home. He’s the one who said, “So…?” when I told him I was gay. He’s the one who continues to speak out and support my endeavor to fight for equal rights.

And when I am finally able to walk down the aisle to marry the love of my life, Paul, he’s the one I want standing beside me.

This weekend, we celebrate Father’s Day and I give thanks to the hero in my life who has been there every step of the way.

Sincerely,
Jeff Zarrillo

Jeff Zarrillo
Prop. 8 Plaintiff


P.S. Check out this great piece my dad wrote in The New York Times. I’m so proud of him.
________________________________

New York Times
________________________________ 
A Father, a Son and a Fighting Chance
By DOMINICK ZARRILLO
“As this Father’s Day approached, all I could think about was how much I want my son to experience the joys of being a father, how much I want him to marry the person he loves and to raise a family.
“For now, he is still waiting, and fighting. I see how much the struggle costs him, how discouraging it is that despite his strength and patience and faith in the system, the ultimate decision rests in the hands of those who have yet to act.
“One day soon, though, the powers that be are going to do the right thing. I’m his father, and it’s Father’s Day, so let me believe it. One day soon they’re going to let my brave, beautiful boy walk the same path we all get to take home.”
Read the article at nytimes.com >

No comments:

Post a Comment