Thursday, January 9, 2014

Via JMG: German Soccer Star Comes Out


Via BBC Sports:
Former Aston Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger has revealed he is gay. The 31-year-old, who won 52 caps for Germany and also played for West Ham and Everton, made the announcement in newspaper Die Zeit. He is the most prominent footballer to publicly reveal his homosexuality and said it was "a good time" to do so. "I'm coming out about my homosexuality because I want to move the discussion about homosexuality among professional sportspeople forwards," he added. The midfielder said he has only realised "in the past few years" that he would "prefer to live together with another man", adding: "I've never been ashamed of the way I am."
Hitzlsperger retired last year due to injuries. (Tipped by JMG reader John)


posted by Joe Jervis

No comments:

Post a Comment