Monday, November 24, 2014

Via Satipañña: The Five Subjects for Daily Recollection

There are other recollections which one can make and which help one to understand the human condition. People tend to be in denial about decay, disease, and death while remaining greatly attached to sentient beings and insentient objects. Some people try also to neglect moral responsibility for their actions. The recollections below bring these subjects to light and make us face them squarely. 

Thus, the Buddha has said we should reflect daily upon these five recollections.
  1. I am of the nature to age.
    I have not gone beyond aging.
  2. I am of the nature to sicken.
    I have not gone beyond sickness.
  3. I am of the nature to die.
    I have not gone beyond dying.
  4. All that is mine, beloved and pleasing, will become otherwise, will become separated from me.
  5. I am the owner of my karma,
    Heir to my karma,
    Born of my karma,
    Related to my karma,
    Abide supported by my karma.
    Whatever karma I shall do, for good or for ill, of that I will be the heir.
http://satipanna.com/basics-of-buddhism/the-five-subjects-for-daily-recollection/

No comments:

Post a Comment