Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Via FB // Col. Edward Thomas Ryan

This is heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking! I thought I recognized the name so I read Col. Edward Thomas Ryan’s obituary in today’s Times Union.  Edward was a Fireman, a member of St. John's Church, a Vietnam Veteran, a retired Colonel and was awarded many medals including one for his service on 9/11.

Now the heartbreaking part! Directly from his obituary.

“Edward wanted to share the following: "I must tell you one more thing. I was Gay all my life: thru grade school, thru High School, thru College, thru Life. I was in a loving and caring relationship with Paul Cavagnaro of North Greenbush. He was the love of my life. We had 25 great years together. Paul died in 1994 from a medical Procedure gone wrong. I'll be buried next to Paul. I'm sorry for not having the courage to come out as Gay. I was afraid of being ostracized: by Family, Friends, and Co-Workers. Seeing how people like me were treated, I just could not do it. Now that my secret is known, I'll forever Rest in Peace."

This man served his country, worshipped in a church, was a fireman who protected his neighbors and yet he was afraid to come out because he was afraid of being judged……think about that…

This is why we celebrate Gay PRIDE so visibly, because maybe one day everyone will be able to live their life not being afraid of what others think or say…

Rest in peace Edward and I pray that your Paul is there to help you celebrate PRIDE in heaven…

When we raise our Pride flag this year we will light two special candles, one for you Ed and one for Paul.

Share this with the next person that asks you "Why does there have to be a Pride Month.." - This is a heartbreaking example of a Hero who served his Country, his Community, and his Family - and still didn't feel that he could be who he was in public. RIP and Thank you for your service Col. Ryan.




No comments:

Post a Comment