Sunday, June 12, 2022

Via The Raft // Honoring Juneteenth

 “I am a drop in the ocean, but I'm also the ocean. I'm a drop in America, but I'm also America. And as I transform myself and heal and take care of myself, I'm very conscious that I'm healing and transforming and taking care of America.”  

Larry Ward, author of America's Racial Karma: An Invitation to Heal

Honoring Juneteenth

A Spiritual Practice for Racial Healing 

Uncomfortable Spaces: Cultivating Love & Peace for Racial Healing | Sister Peace | 2020 08 02 BCM

On June 19, the United States marks Juneteenth, which commemorates the freedom of enslaved people at the end of the Civil War. While 156 years have passed since the first Juneteenth celebration, black people and other people of color continue to experience ongoing, systemic, and disproportionate levels of racism, discrimination, poverty, and violence. 


In a Dharma talk from Blue Cliff Monastery’s online Order of Interbeing retreat in 2020, Sister Peace says we must continue advocating for legal and social reforms that protect, honor, and celebrate members of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) communities. But she says people of all races and cultural backgrounds must also learn how to sit with our awareness of this vast sea of suffering to investigate its roots and discern its implications for our lives, first individually and then collectively. 


“What's being requested is not with an intent of separation,” she adds, “because we all live and work and move and have our being within the beautiful arms of the Sangha. We need to do the work so that we can individually and collectively heal.”

Watch the Dharma Talk


 

No comments:

Post a Comment