Saturday, March 26, 2022

Via Walk With Me // The Art of Grieving Inbox

 

"I have gone to Deer Park every two years that Thay was visiting and during my last visit I asked one of the monks if I could get a personal message from Thay. They asked me what it would be. I said I wanted it to say, 'You Are Enough' in English and Chinese characters as I have an adopted daughter from China and want her to have this one day. He was so kind and said he would ask Thay. I was so hoping to have this piece for my home altar, where I meditate daily. Two days later the monk approached me and said that Thay would get it done by the end of the retreat. We spoke a bit, sharing our background and love for Engaged Buddhism - my heart sang. 


"The day before the retreat concluded the monk said he had my piece, that it was packaged for travel, and I could open it safely once I got home. I was so delighted and excited to see this piece of art and spirit from my teacher of decades. Well, when I got home it was the first thing I attended.

   

"I remember feeling overwhelmed by the sounds around me; adjusting to the lack of silence and calm from the retreat. Even the paper that protected the artwork crinkled in a way that was different, speaking to me in a way I'd not recognized before. When I opened the package I saw Chinese characters and English words. Thay had written, 'You Have Enough' instead of 'You Are Enough'. In my mind's eye, I saw Thay with his impish grin, reminding me of my gifts."

- Lisa Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment