Sunday, February 25, 2024

Via White Crane Institute \\ OLA HOFTUN LILLELIEN

 


2000 -

OLA HOFTUN LILLELIEN, born on this date, is a professional handball player who proudly came out as a gay man in April 2022.

Lillelien, 22, plays for the nation of Denmark.  Handball is a very popular sport in Europe, wherein teams play keep away with a ball as they try to toss it in the opposing team’s goal. Think of it as a combination of basketball and soccer.

Lillelien took to Instagram on April 21 to share the emotional revelation with his fans. In coming out, he becomes one of the few openly LGBTQ players in the league.

“I have been thinking for a long time about whether I should publish this post, but I now understand that it is something I want,” he wrote. “Not for my own part, but to be a role model. Not just for young people, but for everyone. About half a year ago, I told my family, friends and teammates that I most likely do not end up with a sweet girl, but a handsome boy. The response was exclusively positive!”

“I say it like the king: Norway is boys who love boys, girls who love girls, and girls and boys who love each other,” Lillelien said, quoting from a speech of acceptance by King Harald V in 2016.

The athlete deliberately published the post on a specific date: "On April 21, 2022, it will be 50 years since loving who you want was decriminalized in Norway," he continued. "This post was not made by me to seek validation or attention, but to proudly thank those who fought before me for my right to love who I want."

"I hope today's society has come to the point where boys and girls don't have to worry about not being accepted for who they are. Being in love with someone isn't sensational, so I hope we've managed that it doesn't turn out to be a big deal."


|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|

Gay Wisdom for Daily Living from White Crane Institute

"With the increasing commodification of gay news, views, and culture by powerful corporate interests, having a strong independent voice in our community is all the more important. White Crane is one of the last brave standouts in this bland new world... a triumph over the looming mediocrity of the mainstream Gay world." - Mark Thompson

Exploring Gay Wisdom & Culture since 1989!
www.whitecraneinstitute.org

|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|O|8|

No comments:

Post a Comment